Job losses at Hertsmere Borough Council
UP to 10 per cent of workers at Hertsmere Borough Council could lose their jobs, the Potters Bar Edition can reveal.
Stunned staff were told at briefings on Thursday that no post was safe from the axe as budget cuts take hold.
In his Comprehensive Spending Review last month, Chancellor George Osborne revealed local authorities would have to slash their budgets by 28 per cent over the next four years.
For Hertsmere, this equates to a reduction in expenditure of �4.4m, which includes �2.8m less in government grants.
Chief executive Donald Graham has instructed all heads of service to look at ways of making savings of 30 per cent in their respective departments.
You may also want to watch:
And no stone will be left unturned as part of the review.
One worker told the Potters Bar Edition that staff were in limbo following the news.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
“All jobs are at risk,” they said.
“Everyone’s in the same boat and we don’t really know what’s going to happen.”
A council spokeswoman said it was thought about 20 to 30 people – from a total workforce of 336 – could face being made redundant.
Of the council’s �14.5m budget, the vast majority – �13m – was spent on staffing, she said.
“We’re looking at introducing the majority of cuts in the first year, and the rest phased in over two years,” she said.
“We wanted to do it sooner rather than later to provide stability for staff, and residents as well.
“There’s no point dragging it out over four years.”
Service heads have been asked to report back their findings before Christmas, and it is hoped the new structure of the council will be known by the end of this financial year.
The spokeswoman added the views of residents was also being sought on where they think council cash should be spent.
These responses will also form part of the budget review.