J D Wetherspoon pub in Hatfield could be open until 1am
- Credit: Archant
Budget boozer chain J D Wetherspoon could be serving drinks until 1am on weekdays in Hatfield if its plans are backed.
The firm has revealed its mooted Hatfield pub could be open late on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
On Sunday through to Tuesday it might stop serving at midnight.
Planning permission for the purpose built aircraft hangar-like building in Comet Square has yet to be granted by Welwyn Hatfield Council, but the potential opening hours have been revealed in a licensing application.
Ward councillor and former publican Howard Morgan – who has worked in hospitality for 51 years, and is currently secretary for the Hatfield Conservative Club – said: “I think it is normal these days, if you can say normal for a pub that hasn’t been built yet.
“To my knowledge Wetherspoon’s are not noisy pubs, they don’t have live bands.
“I personally can’t see any objections, unless the residents want to object to it and then we would get involved.
- 1 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 2 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 5 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 6 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 7 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
- 8 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 9 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 10 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
“We have a 1am licence in The Conservative Club and we rarely use it.”
For the full story, see this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, on sale now.