Isabel Hospice's Sunset and Stars Walk success
Hundreds of those, loved and lost, were remembered on Saturday night as over 600 Welwyn Garden City-based Isabel Hospice supporters donned their trainers and sunflower deely-boppers for the first ever Sunset and Stars Walk. It was a nine-mile circular
Hundreds of those, loved and lost, were remembered on Saturday night as over 600 Welwyn Garden City-based Isabel Hospice supporters donned their trainers and sunflower deely-boppers for the first ever Sunset and Stars Walk.
It was a nine-mile circular route starting from the Sports and Social Club at Stansted St.Margaretsbury (near Stansted Abbots) where all walkers returned for a BBQ and a well earned cup of tea!
Postman Chris Punter from Welwyn Garden City was the first person to return home, and he ran rather than walked the nine9 miles.
He said: "I was inspired to enter by my fianc�e Sara Norwood who is part of the Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Club.
You may also want to watch:
"My postal round is Harmer Green Lane and Burham Green. I put a note through their doors and they were so generous with their sponsorship I decided to do the best I could on the night. I hope to have raised around �700 in sponsorship which is fabulous."
Also walking on the night were Yvonne and Geoffrey Davis from Welwyn Garden City. Yvonne is the receptionist at the Hospice's HQ and Geoff does lots of voluntary work for them.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
Mother and daughter Jenny and Maggie Harris from Welwyn, also took part.
Jenny (in pink) is a nurse and knows of the good work the hospice does as there is a history of breast cancer in the family.
Construction company Morgan Ashurst, which has named Isabel Hospice as its chosen charity for 2009, was one of the sponsors of the Sunset and Stars walk.
"As a local construction company, we work in the heart of the community so we feel it is important to give something back," says Helen Clowes, Morgan Ashurst marketing manager. "The Sunset and Stars walk was a really positive and uplifting event and we feel really proud to support the work of Isabel Hospice."
Staff from Morgan Ashurst, based at Shire Park, Welwyn Garden City, also raised more than �600 for the charity during a recent street collection.
For further details of Isabel Hospice events call 01707 382500 or visit the Isabel Hospice website at www.isabelhospice.org.uk