Incinerator to be built in Hatfield
LONG-STANDING fears that a massive incinerator will be built at Hatfield’s New Barnfield site have been confirmed this afternoon (Thursday), as the town’s fate was sealed.
Plans for the huge new waste burner have been fought tooth-and-nail by campaigners and by the Welwyn Hatfield Times’ own InferNO! campaign.
The decision to appoint Veolia ES Aurora Ltd as the preferred bidder was taken by Hertfordshire County Council’s cabinet.
John Wood, director of environment and commercial services at the county council, said: “Government and European Union legislation requires local authorities to do everything possible to prevent waste from ending up in landfill.
“If we don’t, we face extra taxes and these fines would ultimately have to be passed on to the taxpayer.”
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Following lengthy discussion, it has been decided the bid put forward by Veolia is the best solution for dealing with our household waste for all of Hertfordshire’s taxpayers.
“We look forward to progressing contract negotiations with them.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed