Iceland in Welwyn Garden City evacuated

A SHOP was evacuated this afternoon (Tuesday) after smoke poured out of a chiller. A freezer at Iceland, in WGC, over-heated causing an acid smell at 1pm. A worker at the Fretherne Road store said the air conditioning unit had not been working for a f

A SHOP was evacuated this afternoon (Tuesday) after smoke poured out of a chiller.

A freezer at Iceland, in WGC, over-heated causing an "acid smell" at 1pm.

A worker at the Fretherne Road store said the air conditioning unit had not been working for a few days, causing heat within the retailer to soar up to 92F.

"It was very hot in there", she said: "I think that's why it has started to smoke."


You may also want to watch:


Colleague Laura Clark, 18, from WGC, added: "Everyone went out safe. It was a really bad smell.

"We are waiting for someone to come and fix it."

Most Read

One fire crew, from WGC, is currently on the scene.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter