I’m a Celebrity star Camilla Dallerup joins residents sleeping rough in Hatfield
CELEBRITIES, residents and dignitaries all spent a night out on the streets in an attempt to tackle homelessness – and raised an estimated �13,000 in the process.
The first Central Herts YMCA Sleep Easy was held at the Galleria in Saturday night and was attended by 75 people, including Strictly Come Dancing champion and I’m a Celebrity star Camilla Dallerup; her fiance, actor Kevin Sacre; Welwyn Hatfield mayor’s consort Neil Langley and daughter Sarah, plus Welwyn Hatfield Times reporter Ross Logan.
Other volunteers sleeping rough for the night included staff from housing maintenance company Mears, business network group BNI Arena and staff from Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Temperatures are believed to have dropped as low as minus four during the early hours, and three people were sent home on health grounds as the cold became too much. All three are now fine.
Earlier, Central Herts YMCA chief executive Robin Webb announced that the event had raised an estimated �13,000 towards getting people off the streets and into accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a fantastic amount,” Mr Webb said. “When you consider how cold it is out here, the amount of people that have turned out is tremendous.”
* To read Ross Logan’s account of the Sleep Easy event, see tomorrow’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out tomorrow (Wednesday).
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes