‘I had to sleep in A&E at Welwyn Garden City hospital’

A DISABLED woman has accused health bosses of being misinformed over a reported lack of beds at the QE2 Hospital in WGC.

Lucy Reeve, who suffers from diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, spoke out following last week’s story in the WHT, in which an ambulance worker said patients were sleeping in the A&E department due to a lack of beds.

The worker’s claims were denied by Nick Carver, chief executive of the East and North Herts NHS Trust, which runs the QE2.

The East of England Ambulance Service subsequently issued a statement distancing itself from its employee’s comments.

However Lucy, who lives in Ware, claimed she was forced to spend a night on a trolley after being taken ill on January 11.


You may also want to watch:


“I wasn’t moved to a bed,” she said. “I was basically left there all night.”

The 34-year-old – a regular inpatient at the QE2 – stressed she had received excellent care at the hospital over the years, but admitted the planned closure of the A&E department “put the fear of God into her”.

Most Read

Mr Carver said Miss Reeve was admitted at a time when the hospital was dealing with a large number of emergencies as well as having some wards affected by the winter vomiting bug.

He said: “These two unusual factors meant the QE2 had fewer beds available than normal and sadly Miss Reeve waited longer to be admitted than we would have liked.

“That said, these were highly unusual circumstances that would probably have been repeated in any hospital across the country at that time.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus