Hundreds join Facebook group to oppose Hatfield incinerator
AN online group founded to oppose plans to build a massive incinerator in Hatfield has attracted nearly 1,000 supporters.
The group, entitled No to the Hatfield Incinerator, has been set up on the social networking site Facebook.
Founded by Mike Hobday, the chairman of campaign group Action Hatfield, the group seeks to mobilise support against the county council’s plans to build a �200m waste burner at New Barnfield in Travellers Lane.
He said: “Facebook is a very effective way of reaching out to people, particularly to generations of local people who don’t necessarily pay attention to leaflets that come through the door.
“The popularity of the group shows that there is very strong cross generation opposition to a waste incinerator in the area.”
You may also want to watch:
* The Welwyn Hatfield Times is running its InferNO! campaign to oppose the incinerator. Sign our online petition by clicking on the link above right.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder