Hot air balloon lands on Welwyn Garden City golf course!
NORMAL hazards golfers may expect to encounter on a course include bunkers, trees and lakes.
But for those playing at Panshanger Golf Course in Old Herns Lane, WGC, on Friday evening, they may not have expected to see this rather big obstacle.
For a huge hot air balloon skimmed the trees and landed on the 17th green at around 8.30pm – narrowly missing golfers!
Bruce Piggott, of Daniells, witnessed the spectacular sight.
The 67-year-old told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I am fascinated by these craft and being a keen amateur photographer, I ran out of the house [to go and take pictures of the landing].
You may also want to watch:
“As I got closer the spectacle of this huge craft [owned by Adventure Balloons] was amazing.
“I could hear the roar of the gas burner and could clearly see the passengers.”
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 5 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
The semi-retired electronic engineer added: “I wasn’t going to lose the picture of the landing so I ran through a fence and onto the golf course.
“I saw the balloon scrape the treetops and heard cries of excitement from the passengers; much to the amazement of a group of golfers who were waiting to tee off.
“The pilot realised they were in the way of the golfers so he asked two men to get out of the basket and pull the balloon to one side. It was amazing!”
A spokesman for Adventure Balloons said it wasn’t uncommon to land on golf courses.