Horse saved from lake
A HORSE had to be pulled from a lake after it slipped on the bank and became trapped in the icy water. The chestnut mare was spotted in a fishing lake off Richardson Close in Colney Heath on Wednesday morning
A HORSE had to be pulled from a lake after it slipped on the bank and became trapped in the icy water.
The chestnut mare was spotted in a fishing lake off Richardson Close in Colney Heath on Wednesday morning.
It took two hours for the RSPCA and firefighters to pull her out, after her feet became stuck in the silt at the bottom of the four foot deep lake.
After being rescued, she was examined by a vet and found to be suffering from cold and shock.
You may also want to watch:
But she soon recovered, and was reunited with her young foal.
Sarah Lambert, animal collection officer for the RSPCA, said: "This was a very successful rescue and I'm glad that the horse and her foal are back together again. She must have been in the water for some time so we needed to get her out as soon as we could to prevent her suffering further from the cold.
- 1 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 2 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 3 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 5 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 9 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 10 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
"I would like to thank the fire and rescue service for attending so quickly and helping this animal. Their assistance was invaluable.