Homeless man protests outside Welwyn Hatfield Council offices
- Credit: WHTIMES
Police were called after a homeless man protested outside the Welwyn Hatfield Council offices this afternoon with his tent and sleeping bag.
Kieran Bagstaff, 32, began his protest outside the Welwyn Hatfield Council offices at 2pm, pitching his tent on a patch of grass directly outside the entrance to the building.
He was then told that the police had been called and to move on.
The dad-of-three told the Welwyn Hatfield Times that he had set up his tent in a bid to be taken “seriously” by the council.
Kieran, who suffers from depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder, said: “I am protesting today because I am tired of being homeless and not being helped by the council.
You may also want to watch:
“They have put me in Band-D even though I have given them all of my medical history with my mental health.
“I’ve been fobbed off and told to private rent but the minute I tell landlords I’m on benefits they don’t want to know.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
“I have tried everything, I really have.
“But what other option do I have?
“I needed to get them to listen to me.”
Kieran, who has lived in Welwyn Hatfield for 13 years, says he can not work because his anxiety is so extreme that when he has a panic attack while stressed he blacks out.
He ended his protest about 15 minutes into it after a member of the council’s housing team offered to speak to him inside the building.
Kieran, who has been sleeping on the streets of Welwyn Garden City since June, went inside the council offices and is currently waiting to see if anything can be done to get him off the streets.
A police spokeswoman said: “We were informed at 2.08pm today that a man has pitched a tent outside the Welwyn Hatfield council offices in Welwyn Garden City.
“Officers are not attending at this time.”