Hertsmere selects new mayor
ROSEMARY Gilligan has been named the new mayor of Hertsmere. The Shenley councillor was nominated by her fellow members at a meeting of Hertsmere Borough Council last night (Wednesday). The 52-year-old, whose ward includes South Mimms, takes over from fel
ROSEMARY Gilligan has been named the new mayor of Hertsmere.
The Shenley councillor was nominated by her fellow members at a meeting of Hertsmere Borough Council last night (Wednesday).
The 52-year-old, whose ward includes South Mimms, takes over from fellow Conservative Sandra Parnell.
Cllr Gilligan follows in the footsteps of her father Tim, who was the borough's mayor in 1990/91.
You may also want to watch:
Her chosen charities will be Action for ME and disability network Radar.
She said: "Being a mayor is a huge honour and I look forward to a busy year ahead and to meeting people in the community."
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
Also at last night's meeting, Bushey Tory councillor Linda Silver was appointed deputy mayor, while Morris Bright retained his role as leader of the council.
* For more reaction from Cllr Gilligan, plus a look back at Cllr Parnell's mayoral year, see next week's Potters Bar Edition.