Hertfordshire school 2010 applications open today
SCHOOLS may only have just started back after the summer break - but carers and parents across the county are already planning ahead for school places in 2010. If your child starts nursery or primary school or moves on to secondary school next year you
SCHOOLS may only have just started back after the summer break - but carers and parents across the county are already planning ahead for school places in 2010.
If your child starts nursery or primary school or moves on to secondary school next year you need to apply for a school place in good time.
The process for moving on to secondary school has opened today (Thursday) and the deadline for completed applications is Friday, October 23 this year.
Parents can apply online or return a paper copy of the application form direct to their local admissions and transport team.
You may also want to watch:
Parents can no longer return their application forms to their child's current primary school.
The timescales for primary and nursery applications have changed significantly this year.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 7 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 8 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
The primary school process will start on Monday, November 16.
Nursery applications will open on Monday, October 12.
Before making an application, parents and carers are strongly advised to visit schools and attend the secondary information evenings to help them make their preferences.
This year the county council's admissions team will handle more than 21,000 applications for school places.
The Moving On booklets will be issued to families through their primary schools at the beginning of September.
Richard Thake, executive member for education said: "Starting school or moving on to secondary school are important steps for children.
"I recognise this is one of the most important services we provide and can assure parents that dedicated officers are on hand to provide support and guidance, both at the time of application and at the time a school place is offered.
"Parents and carers want to ensure their children gain places at the school they most prefer. "However, many schools receive more applications than they have places and we have admission rules to determine which children get places at which schools.
"But we do have a good track record in Hertfordshire and last year 93.38 per cent of children were allocated one of their three ranked secondary schools and 95.26 per cent one of their three ranked primary schools."
To apply online visit www.hertsdirect.org/admissions or call 0300 123 4043.