Hertfordshire residents urged to recycle more batteries
RESIDENTS are being urged to help recycle more batteries.
The call follows the signing of a partnership between Hertfordshire County Council and the Community Battery Recycling Alliance (CoBRA).
County councillor Derrick Ashley, executive member for waste, said: “Batteries are made from important resources, including lead, zinc and lithium, that can be re-used if they are recycled.
“More than 600 million household batteries are sent to landfill in the UK each year –it’s such a waste that so many end up in the bin.”
In order to encourage recycling, a special drop-off point for batteries is being introduced at the following places:
You may also want to watch:
* Campus East in WGC
* Hatfield Swim Centre, in Lemsford Road, Hatfield
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
* Hertsmere Borough Council’s area office at the Wyllyotts Centre in Darkes Lane, Potters Bar
* Household Waste Recycling Centres at Cole Green, and Cranborne Road, Potters Bar
Volunteers who can help with the recycling process are also being sought.
Cllr Ashley said: “Hertfordshire has an excellent recycling record, but it seems that batteries are slipping through the net.
“We would now like to hear from volunteers who would be interested in working with us on this scheme.”
If you are interested in volunteering, please call CoBRA on 0845 4080337 or email email@example.com