Hertfordshire police warn against inappropriate non-emergency calls

Police advise residents against making inappropriate non-emergency calls

Police advise residents against making inappropriate non-emergency calls - Credit: Archant

Hertfordshire Constabulary has advised residents to only call the non-emergency number 101 for police matters.

Police have shared details of two recent phone calls to the Force Communications Room (FCR) which should have been made to other partner agencies instead of the police.

During the first call, a woman called 101 to report that when she telephoned her doctor’s surgery, a staff member referred to her as Mrs instead of her correct title - Miss.

The woman advised the call taker that this had happened on three occasions despite the fact she has corrected the member of staff.

The call taker then patiently advised the woman that this was not a police matter and that she should call the NHS with her concerns.

You may also want to watch:

During the second call, a caller dialled 101 to report that a large trampoline was blowing about in her garden due to strong winds.

The caller told the call taker that she was worried the trampoline would blow towards the house and smash one of the windows. The call taker advised the caller to try to tie the trampoline down or to wedge it to something.

Most Read

Strategic Lead for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire for Public Contact Detective Chief Superintendent Jane Swinburne said: “In the two examples given, 101 should not have been called.

“To enable the FCR to deal with 999 calls as quickly as possible, to respond to non-urgent police matters and to provide the best possible service to the public, it is important that 999 and 101 are only called when a genuine emergency is ongoing and for police related matters.”

Members of the public should call 101 to give police information about a crime in the area, to contact a local police officer, to report suspected drug use or drug dealing in the area or if a property has been stolen or damaged but it is not a crime in progress.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus