Hertfordshire police link theft and card scam
POLICE are officially linking the theft of a Chip and PIN machine and a credit card scam affecting nearly 400 people. As previously reported in the WHT, this year there have been 366 reports of card cloning from Cuffley villagers and those living in near
POLICE are officially linking the theft of a Chip and PIN machine and a credit card scam affecting nearly 400 people.
As previously reported in the WHT, this year there have been 366 reports of card cloning from Cuffley villagers and those living in nearby Goffs Oak, Cheshunt and Waltham Cross.
Most of the thefts, in which large amounts of money have been stolen from bank accounts, have occurred since the theft of a Chip and PIN machine on March 5, from Cuffley Service Station, in Station Road.
Thieves have accessed the victim's bank accounts from countries including Sri Lanka, Canada, USA, and Malaysia.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said: "The machine stolen is believed to have been linked to a number of card cloning incidents at that location previous to the theft.
"Investigations are ongoing into this crime."
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
Anyone with any information should call police on 0845 33 00 222.