£50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- Credit: HCC
Parents whose children receive free school meals will be entitled to £50 supermarket voucher to help with summer holiday food costs.
The digital vouchers cover a choice of all the major supermarkets and will be distributed to families by their nursery, school or college.
The scheme is being rolled out by Herts county council with funding from the Government’s Department of Work and Pensions, and aims to help families and individuals who may benefit from some extra support towards the cost of food as a result of the pandemic.
“We know that the cost of feeding growing children during the holidays can be expensive and so we’re pleased to be able to offer some help towards the cost of food for families entitled to free school meals this summer," said Teresa Heritage, executive member for children, young people and families.
“This support is part of our ongoing work to ensure that those most affected by COVID-19 have the help they need to get back on their feet. In addition to this scheme, there is dedicated funding in place to help families through our Hertfordshire Family Centre Service and via HertsHelp to make sure that no child or young person in the county need go hungry.”
You may also want to watch:
In addition to this contribution, children aged 5-16 who are entitled to benefit related free school meals have also been invited to attend the HAPpy Holiday Activity Programme, with thousands of free spaces available across the county.
The scheme run in partnership with Herts Sports Partnership and Hertfordshire Community Foundation will see all sorts of clubs and organisations providing enriching days with lots of physical activity and delicious healthy food. To book a place using the code from your school, visit: http://sportinherts.org.uk/happy/booking
For those families who are not eligible for free school meals, but need a little extra help, HertsHelp can offer advice and practical support towards the cost of food and household bills. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 0300 123 4044 or visit www.hertshelp.net
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank