Hertfordshire County Council warns businesses of bogus caller
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire County Council is warning businesses about a telephone cold caller claiming to be from Hertfordshire Fire Brigade.
It follows fresh reports from businesses that have been cold called by a man attempting to sell advertising space, claiming to be acting on behalf of the county council’s fire and rescue service.
The man was calling himself ‘Peter Griffiths’ when telephoning businesses last year, and is now also using the name ‘Peter Foster’. This approach is typical of a publication scam where the scammer claims to be from a public body or supporting ‘good causes’ in order to sell advertising space. A demand for payment often follows, sometimes even if no agreement has been made.
The county council’s fire and rescue service does not cold call businesses or authorise third party companies to do so on their behalf looking to sell advertising or sponsorship.
The council urged anyone who receives one of these calls not give or confirm any information about the business, hang up and report it to the council via 03454 040506.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Thake, cabinet member for community safety, said: “This person certainly isn’t selling advertising on our behalf. We’re working hard to identify them and we’ll be taking action once we do. In the meantime I’d encourage anyone who does receive a call from this man to hang up immediately.”
Visit www.hertsdirect.org/scams for more information on scams and how to protect yourself.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM