Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce reacts to Spending Review
THE chief executive of the Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce has given a cautious welcome to the Government’s Comprehensive Spending Review (CSR) announcement today (Wednesday).
Tim Hutchings spoke to the Welwyn Hatfield Times shortly after Chancellor George Osborne finished his speech to the House of Commons this afternoon.
“I think he gave a very good speech,” Mr Hutchings said.
“What we wanted was for him to demonstrate that we were in control of the economy and I think he achieved that.”
Mr Hutchings said he was pleased the Chancellor had decided to freeze, rather than cut, the science budget and also expressed delight at a decision to invest in adult apprenticeships.
You may also want to watch:
But he added that is was far too early to tell exactly how the department for Business, Innovation and Skills was going to cut the �400m in administration costs as outlined in the CSR.
“The devil’s in the detail,” Mr Hutchings said. “We’re just going to have to wait and see what a lot of this means, but overall I think he’s done a very professional job.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 10 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure