Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire police in merger talks
A MERGER between Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire police forces could be on the cards. Preliminary work is being carried out to explore the possibility of forming a super-force across both counties. Any merger, though, would be subject to extensive
A MERGER between Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire police forces could be on the cards.
Preliminary work is being carried out to explore the possibility of forming a 'super-force' across both counties.
Any merger, though, would be subject to "extensive" public consultation.
A Herts police spokeswoman said: "Preliminary, high level work is being undertaken to explore the potential for a merger of Bedfordshire Police and Hertfordshire Constabulary.
You may also want to watch:
"This is one of a number of areas of work being undertaken designed to ensure the level of service is maintained or, where possible, improved in the face of the need to deliver significant savings over the coming years."
She added: "It should be stressed any business case would need the support of both chief constables and agreement of both police authorities prior to consideration by the Home Office and, ultimately, Parliamentary legislation.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 9 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
"During any process there would be extensive consultation with the workforce and the communities in both counties."
The two forces already share a number of joint units, including the major crime investigation team, dog section and firearms officers.
For more on this story, buy this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times, out now.