Help map out Welwyn Hatfield’s links with Olympics and Paralympics
DO you know your Ann Jenners from your Gail Emms, or your Jodie Williams from your Ben Swains?
If you do, the Welwyn Hatfield Sport and Physical Activity Alliance would like to here from you.
The group has teamed up with Mill Green Museum to launch a new project which will map out the borough’s Olympic and Paralympic history.
They are compiling a list of those with any association to Welwyn Hatfield who has competed in a past Olympic or Paralympic Games, or is set to feature at London next year.
Information already gleaned include Gail Emms, who trained at the University of Hertfordshire, and won mixed doubles badminton silver at Athens 2004.
You may also want to watch:
Also, Welwyn Athletics Club member Ann Jenner competed at Rome in 1960, where she reached the second round of the 100m sprint.
Alliance chairman David Bartlett said the information would be used for educational purposes.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
He said: “We want to get a banner stand to take around schools to inspire the kids and tell them what the Olympics is all about.
“In the lead-up to London, it’s a good opportunity to find them and recognise them.”
He added: “We need to ask the public if they can add any information or photos to what we have already, as we have had no real info so far.”
Mr Bartlett said the sportsmen and women could have been born in, a resident of, or went to school in Welwyn Hatfield, or played or trained for a club in the borough.
If you can help with any other information, or photos, call Mr Bartlett on 01438 715374 or email email@example.com