COVID-19: Nearly 1,000 cases recorded in Welwyn Hatfield in final week of 2020
- Credit: Asurobson /Getty Images/iStockphoto
Welwyn Hatfield recorded 923 coronavirus cases in the final week of 2020, peaking with 215 cases on December 29 alone.
This was an increase of 276 cases on the previous week.
Throughout the month of December, there were 2,112 new coronavirus cases reported in Welwyn Hatfield, more than doubling the total cases in the district since March - which stood at 3,993 at the end of the year.
Sadly 11 people died in December in Welwyn Hatfield within 28 days of positive test.
For the week of December 25 to 31 Welwyn Hatfield had 750 cases per 100,000 people, while the average area in England had 453.
Hertsmere had 995 cases per 100,000 people over the same time period.
Hertsmere recorded 1,044 new cases between December 25 to 31, an increase of 60 compared with the previous week.
- 1 Hatfield fixer-upper with lake on sale for £2.5m
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Changes to rubbish and recycling bin collection days in Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 5 Met Police officer denies sexually assaulting male colleague
- 6 New live music venue proposed for Howardsgate
- 7 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 8 Who is playing when at Slam Dunk Festival 2022: Set times announced for Hatfield Park
- 9 More cash for safer cycling and walking schemes in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Church proposes new extension to meet future needs
The borough had 18 deaths within 28 days of positive test by date of death in December, with 2,944 coronavirus cases over the month.