Health chiefs blame £45m shortfall for IVF cuts in Potters Bar and St Albans
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Herts Valleys Clinical Commissioning Group has blamed a £45million financial crisis for cutting NHS-funded IVF in Potters Bar and St Albans.
The CCG, which controls health care spending for both areas, outlined its decision after Potters Bar’s MP Oliver Dowden voiced concerns about the impact on struggling families.
Conservative MP for Hertsmere Mr Dowden told this paper he had written to Herts Valleys’ chair Dr Nicholas Small requesting an explanation and details of available alternatives.
A CCG spokesman said: “Herts Valleys CCG needs to make savings of £45million in this and future years to return to financial balance. We simply don’t have the money to do everything and continue as we are.
“Given the low success rates and high costs of IVF, as well as the physical and mental toll it can take on patients, we need to balance the funding for this treatment with the other services and treatments we need to provide.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said that patients affected by the decision will be supported in exploring available options in the same way as those who have never qualified for NHS-funded IVF.
“GPs will be able to refer individual cases to a specialist decision-making panel if their patient faces exceptional clinical circumstances,” he added.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 5 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
The move is set to be reviewed in 12 months time.