Headless traveller murder: killers jailed for life
A FATHER and son have today (Tuesday) been jailed for life for the brutal murder of Northaw traveller John Finney. Norman Jones, 50, of Princess Park Manor, New Barnet will serve a minimum of 33 years in prison, while Joseph Jones, 24, of Harlech Road, Pa
A FATHER and son have today (Tuesday) been jailed for life for the brutal murder of Northaw traveller John Finney.
Norman Jones, 50, of Princess Park Manor, New Barnet will serve a minimum of 33 years in prison, while Joseph Jones, 24, of Harlech Road, Palmers Green will spend at least 30 years behind bars.
The two men were yesterday convicted of killing Mr Finney, 42, following a 10-week trial at St Albans Crown Court.
Sentencing father and son to life in prison, Mr Justice MacDuff described both defendants as “evil”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “You both took a full part in this wicked enterprise. You decided to execute a man who you thought, rightly or wrongly, had crossed you.
“It is difficult to comprehend how wicked you are. You lack any semblance of humanity.”
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 9 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
Mr Justice MacDuff also described Mr Finney as “a proper human being” and said reading a statement from the victim’s father had moved him close to tears.
In mitigation, Michael Wolkind QC, for Joseph Jones, said his client did not physically partake in the murder himself, and that he played the role of an obedient son.
Simon Mayo QC, for Norman Jones, said: “If the flask of mercy in this court is running low, then I am sure he would wish to urge, through me, that what is left is administered to his son rather than to him.”
Father-of-four Mr Finney was abducted from Park Farm in Northaw Road West on February 29 last year.
His naked, headless and handless body was found dumped behind a garage block in Ickleford a fortnight later.
* For full coverage of the verdicts see tomorrow's WHT.