Hatfield water firm’s warning over bogus callers
BOGUS callers who are telephoning a water company’s customers have been branded “unscrupulous”.
Hatfield-based Veolia Water has issued a warning to residents to be extra vigilant after reports across the region about conmen claiming to be from the firm.
The callers are offering discounts to customers if they pay their bill in full over the phone using a credit card.
Vincent Muldoon, director of customer relations at the Tamblin Way company, said: “We are very concerned about these unscrupulous people who try to defraud our customers by obtaining their bank details.
“Employees of Veolia Water would never cold call our customers and offer them a discount for payment, and we urge people to be vigilant when they give out personal details over the telephone.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Muldoon said any resident who had received a call like this who thinks they may have been a victim of crime should contact their bank and/or credit card company as soon as possible, and report the incident to police.
He added: “If there is any doubt, do not continue with the conversation, put the phone down and contact our customer contact centre on 0845 782 3333 and the police.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
Veolia Water serves 3.2 million customers in a supply area that covers 3,700 sq km.