Hatfield tobacco smuggler jailed
TWO men who smuggled 1.3 tonnes of tobacco into the country – avoiding paying more than �150,000 in duty – have been jailed. The jobless duo were intercepted by police officers in Kent with the stash in the back of their van. Hatfield man Noah Stanley was
TWO men who smuggled 1.3 tonnes of tobacco into the country - avoiding paying more than �150,000 in duty - have been jailed.
The jobless duo were intercepted by police officers in Kent with the stash in the back of their van.
Hatfield man Noah Stanley was driving and Stephen Catanach was a passenger in a white Mercedes Sprinter van that had just left an industrial estate in Kent, on May 27 last year.
A search of the white van revealed 1.3 tonnes of hand rolling tobacco packed in brown cardboard boxes in the rear.
You may also want to watch:
The duty the pair evaded is estimated as �154,000.
After enquiries by HM Revenue & Customs officers both men were charged with smuggling offences. The pair pleaded guilty at Maidstone Crown Court to being knowingly concerned in carrying, removing, depositing, and harbouring excise goods.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 3 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 7 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 8 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
Stanley, 37, of Holwell Caravan Park and Catanach, 48, of Theobalds Park, Waltham Cross, were both jailed for nine months.