Hatfield teacher praises school fire response
- Credit: Archant
Pupils and staff reacted calmly to a fire at their school today and were never in danger, the headteacher has insisted.
Firefighters extinguished a fire in the kitchen of Howe Dell Primary School in The Runway today, but according to headteacher Debra Massey, staff ensured there was no panic.
She said: “There was an isolated fire in the school kitchen at Howe Dell School, which was quickly extinguished by the Herts Fire and Rescue Service.
“While this incident was taking place, we efficiently and calmly evacuated children and staff.
“Following advice from the fire service and the police, children and staff returned to the building.
You may also want to watch:
“Children remained in a safe area downstairs while senior leaders from the school consulted with fire officers and Hertfordshire County Council.
“Parents at the school have been kept fully updated.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 3 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 4 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 5 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 6 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 7 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 10 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19