Hatfield student jailed for benefit fraud
A BENEFIT cheat has been jailed after he claimed nearly �6,000 in state handouts to which he was not entitled.
Olasubomi Adesina, 25, claimed �5,974 in housing benefit from Welwyn Hatfield Council after he registered as unemployed – despite being a full-time university student at the time.
But the authority caught up with him and, on June 11, he pleaded guilty to four benefit-related offences at West Herts Magistrates’ Court, in Hemel Hempstead.
Adesina, of Willow Way, Hatfield, was caged for 12 weeks.
The council confirmed it would make “every effort” to reclaim the money, which Adesina claimed over a nine-month period spanning 2008 and 2009.
You may also want to watch:
If you know someone is claiming housing and/or council tax benefit dishonestly, call the council in confidence on 01707 357606.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 9 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 10 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?