Hatfield sheds fire caused by bonfire not properly put out

PUBLISHED: 15:20 24 June 2018 | UPDATED: 18:38 24 June 2018

The fire in Hatfield's Birchwood Close. Picture: Hatfield Fire Station

The fire in Hatfield's Birchwood Close. Picture: Hatfield Fire Station

Archant

A fire in Hatfield that engulfed several sheds last night was caused by a bonfire that wasn’t properly extinguished, firefighters have said.

The fire in Hatfield's Birchwood Close. Picture: Hatfield Fire StationThe fire in Hatfield's Birchwood Close. Picture: Hatfield Fire Station

Crews from Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City and St Albans stations rushed to Birchwood Close at about 1am after a report of a fire in the open, and used hosereels to tackle the blaze.

A loud explosion at the scene was due to a barbecue cylinder exploding as a result of the fire, a tweet from Hatfield Fire Station’s account said today.

“Before having bonfires, ensure it’s positioned well away from fences, bushes etc. Give the surrounding area a wet down with your hose,” the post added.

“Only burn small amounts at a time, otherwise you may end up like this.”

The tweet was accompanied by the two photographs above. In a second tweet, Dennis Pennyfather was thanked “for the pictures and the refreshments through the night helped keep the crew hydrated”.

Elsewhere last night, Welwyn Garden City firefighters were at Money Hole Park near Panshanger Aerodrome to deal with a fire in the open at about 8.45pm. They used a hosereel to tackle a fire in scrub and some trees.

The WGC team were also in Parkway shortly after midnight to help paramedics with a patient.

Editor’s note (6.30pm, June 24): An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the fire was caused by the barbecue cylinder exploding. This was based on a misreading of Hatfield Fire Station’s message, which we have now had clarified. We apologise for the error and for any confusion caused.

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists