Hatfield security guard ‘died of natural causes’
A SECURITY guard at the University of Hertfordshire died while on holiday with his wife and sister-in-law after contracting a lung infection.
Tony Woodland, 57, died in November last year during a break with wife Karen and her sister Anita Dance at the exclusive Mediterranean resort of Antalya, Turkey.
He was taken ill the day after they landed in the country, on October 18, and admitted to hospital.
But his condition worsened, and he died on November 5.
After Mr Woodland’s body was returned to England, a post-mortem gave the cause of death as bronchial pneumonia. Secondary cause was severe coronary artheroma – a clogging of the artery to the heart.
You may also want to watch:
The post-mortem also revealed Mr Woodland suffered from pulmonary fibrosis, a condition that causes scarring of the lungs and makes it difficult to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream.
Symptoms include fatigue, weakness and loss of appetite – all things that Mr Woodland, of Haltside, Hatfield, had complained of before being taken to hospital.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
An inquest this week returned a verdict of natural causes.
At Hatfield Coroner’s Court, assistant deputy coroner Dr Frances Cranfield told Mr Woodland’s family: “My sincere condolences go to you all. I know Tony will greatly missed.”
After the inquest, sister-in-law Anita said: “Tony was a kind, caring, funny and generous man, and his presence would brighten up any social event or party he attended.
“He was extremely close to Karen’s family, and will always be regarded and sadly missed every day, as a second loving brother. ”
Mr Woodland worked at the University of Hertfordshire for security firm Reliance.
Steve Jarvis, deputy manager of Reliance, said: “Tony worked in the University’s security staff for over five year years and was a very valued member of the team – this is a great loss for us.
“Our thoughts are with his family at this time.”