Hatfield residents hand over incinerator petition
CAMPAIGNERS opposed to the construction of a �200m waste incinerator in Hatfield have handed in a petition to protest against the plans. It has been signed by some 500 residents concerned at the county council's plans to build the incinerator at
CAMPAIGNERS opposed to the construction of a �200m waste incinerator in Hatfield have handed in a petition to protest against the plans.
It has been signed by some 500 residents concerned at the county council's plans to build the incinerator at New Barnfield, next to Southfield special needs school in Travellers Lane.
Mike Hobday, chairman of campaign group Action Hatfield, handed in the petition this afternoon (Wednesday) at a meeting of the council's waste panel, at County Hall.
Mr Hobday said: "Local residents are strongly opposed to the threat of a 270,000 tonne waste incinerator.
You may also want to watch:
"It's unthinkable the county council wants to put such a massive source of pollution so close to residential areas and to Southfield School."
He added: "Incineration is the wrong technology, causing pollution and carbon dioxide emissions as well as bringing extra lorries onto our roads.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk