Hatfield resident fears cross outside her home is burglar’s code
- Credit: Archant
An ‘X’ marked outside a Hatfield home sparked fears of a burglary conspiracy.
Claire Zwager arrived to find the marking in front of her house, in Stockbreach Road on Thursday and immediately feared she had been singled out by burglars.
Last week, she said: “I got home from work tonight and found this mark outside my house in Stockbreach Road, Hatfield.
Two houses in Birchwood apparently had this mark and have been burgled.
“I wanted to forward this to you to make people aware and I am now really worried, and hope we removed it in time.”
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Mark Wallis from Hertfordshire Constabulary said: “Historically we have been aware of incidents where markings have been used by offenders, but this has not been seen in recent times in the Hatfield area.
“We do take reports of this nature seriously and since the resident has contacted police, measures have been put in place to help safeguard her property and provide reassurance.”
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 6 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 9 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 10 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
He added: “There have been two burglaries in Birchwood since the start of the year; however markings were not reported outside these properties.”
• If anyone has concerns about suspicious markings outside their property they should call the non-emergency number 101, and ask for the Hatfield Local Crime Unit.