Hatfield no-show councillor speaks up
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November. A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings. * Four full council
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November.
A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings.
* Four full council meetings.
* One environment and overview scrutiny committee meeting - for which he is paid �3,790 for the role of chairman.
You may also want to watch:
When approached by the WHT, he simply replied: "That's not good."
Councillor Smith works full time as an agent for the Conservative Party, a job which takes him around the country. Most recently he has been in Scotland.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 7 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 8 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 9 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
But he is convinced he can juggle both he job and his role as a councillor.
Cllr Smith, who was first elected in 2007, said he continued to work for the residents of Welwyn Hatfield, mainly via email.
He said only this week he had been looking at paving in Old Hatfield and helped a resident get a new radiator.
He said: "Meetings aren't everything. I would love to attend them all, in my first time I did, but life is hectic.
"I would love to get there more often and will endeavour to do so in the future.
"This is just a blip.