Hatfield no-show councillor speaks up
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November. A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings. * Four full council
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November.
A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings.
* Four full council meetings.
* One environment and overview scrutiny committee meeting - for which he is paid �3,790 for the role of chairman.
You may also want to watch:
When approached by the WHT, he simply replied: "That's not good."
Councillor Smith works full time as an agent for the Conservative Party, a job which takes him around the country. Most recently he has been in Scotland.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 7 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 8 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 How did our town centres hold up under pressure last year?
But he is convinced he can juggle both he job and his role as a councillor.
Cllr Smith, who was first elected in 2007, said he continued to work for the residents of Welwyn Hatfield, mainly via email.
He said only this week he had been looking at paving in Old Hatfield and helped a resident get a new radiator.
He said: "Meetings aren't everything. I would love to attend them all, in my first time I did, but life is hectic.
"I would love to get there more often and will endeavour to do so in the future.
"This is just a blip.