Hatfield no-show councillor speaks up
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November. A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings. * Four full council
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November.
A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings.
* Four full council meetings.
* One environment and overview scrutiny committee meeting - for which he is paid �3,790 for the role of chairman.
You may also want to watch:
When approached by the WHT, he simply replied: "That's not good."
Councillor Smith works full time as an agent for the Conservative Party, a job which takes him around the country. Most recently he has been in Scotland.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
But he is convinced he can juggle both he job and his role as a councillor.
Cllr Smith, who was first elected in 2007, said he continued to work for the residents of Welwyn Hatfield, mainly via email.
He said only this week he had been looking at paving in Old Hatfield and helped a resident get a new radiator.
He said: "Meetings aren't everything. I would love to attend them all, in my first time I did, but life is hectic.
"I would love to get there more often and will endeavour to do so in the future.
"This is just a blip.