Hatfield no-show councillor speaks up
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November. A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings. * Four full council
A TORY councillor has spoken out after the WHT revealed he has failed to show up at any meetings since November.
A Freedom of Information request by the WHT revealed Cllr Smith has failed to attend: * Six planning committee meetings.
* Four full council meetings.
* One environment and overview scrutiny committee meeting - for which he is paid �3,790 for the role of chairman.
You may also want to watch:
When approached by the WHT, he simply replied: "That's not good."
Councillor Smith works full time as an agent for the Conservative Party, a job which takes him around the country. Most recently he has been in Scotland.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 From 'the worst zoo in the UK' to popular attraction: Looking back on Paradise Wildlife Park's 37 years
- 5 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 6 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
- 7 Rogue landlord hit with record £90,000 fine for safety failings
- 8 JD Wetherspoons lists building in town centre for sale
- 9 CCTV appeal after safe containing cash and watches stolen
- 10 Eight vehicles seized after police operation to crack down on crime
But he is convinced he can juggle both he job and his role as a councillor.
Cllr Smith, who was first elected in 2007, said he continued to work for the residents of Welwyn Hatfield, mainly via email.
He said only this week he had been looking at paving in Old Hatfield and helped a resident get a new radiator.
He said: "Meetings aren't everything. I would love to attend them all, in my first time I did, but life is hectic.
"I would love to get there more often and will endeavour to do so in the future.
"This is just a blip.