Hatfield murder suspect found dead
A MURDER hunt has been called off tonight (Sunday) after the main suspect was found dead.
Martin Collett, wanted for the murder of his ex-partner Angela Hoyt, was being hunted by police after the 34-year-old’s body was found on Tuesday at her home in Glebeland, Hatfield.
Police have now called off the search after a man, identified as Collett, was found on the railway line.
A police spokeswoman said: “The body of a man was found just north of Hatfield train station at about 11.30pm on Friday (May 27). Hertfordshire officers were informed by the British Transport Police (BTP) later that night and have been working with the BTP to identify the man.
“We can now confirm that it is that of Martin Collett, who was wanted for the murder of Angela Hoyt, aged 34, between May 22 and 24 at her home address on Glebeland, Hatfield.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Ross from the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, who has been leading the investigation, said: “Now we have found Martin, this brings our search to a conclusion and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with Angela’s death.
“I would like to take this opportunity to express my condolences to Angela’s family and close friends. Angela’s family have shown great courage and dignity while also helping and supporting our investigation.
- 1 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 2 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 3 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 5 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 6 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 7 Local Plan meetings cancelled amid confusion over PM’s speech
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 10 Woman fined after racially aggravated assault and theft at supermarket
“This is an extremely tragic case involving two people who were known to each other. Both families are being supported by specialist family liaison officers at this difficult time.”
Angela’s body was found by Hertfordshire officers on May 24, leading to the search for her ex boyfriend Martin. Detectives received a number of reports from members of the public that they had seen him in the Hatfield area, following appeals in the media.
Acting on this information, specialist search officers, including dog handlers, and the force helicopter worked at Hatfield House on the afternoon of May 27 looking for Martin.
DCI Mark Ross added: “My team and I are very grateful for all the assistance we have received from members of the public, partner agencies and the media during our search. We would like to thank them all for their help.”
Both deaths will now be handed to Hertfordshire Coroner Service to investigate.