Hatfield man treks Western Africa for charity
A HATFIELD man has set off on an arduous 1,000-mile trek across West Africa to raise funds for charity.
Charles Dawson-Amoah, of Scholars Walk, is in Sierra Leone for a 20-day hike in aid of Save The Children.
The 36-year-old ex-British soldier started his challenge in Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone, on Sunday and will finish in Accra, Ghana, on November 20.
Charles, who was born and raised in Ghana, told the WHT: “I have chosen work with Save the Children because I believe that we can all do something to improve the lives of children who are suffering in this world.
“I’m hoping all my friends, colleagues and anyone else who’d like to help me reach this goal will support me with a small donation – all funds raised will go directly to Save the Children.”
You may also want to watch:
Charles, who came to the UK in 2002, chose to raise money for Save The Children after witnessing first hand the suffering of children in Africa.
“I have seen a lot during my time in Africa,” he said, “and I see it as my personal quest to raise awareness of these issues and spread the message to politicians, community leaders and the general public that there is still a lot to be done to protect children around the world.”
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
Charles, who works as a data analyst at DHL Express in Frobisher Way, Hatfield, is writing a blog during his journey.
It can be read at http://50forthechild.blogspot.com
To sponsor Charles, visit www.justgiving.com/charlesdawsonamoah