Hatfield man jailed after admitting GBH
A MAN who knifed his housemate in the chest has been jailed – after changing his plea three days into his trial for attempted murder. Elshod Saidov, 23, from Uzbekistan, had denied inflicting
A MAN who knifed his housemate in the chest has been jailed - after changing his plea three days into his trial for attempted murder.
Elshod Saidov, 23, from Uzbekistan, had denied inflicting "life-threatening" wounds on his countryman Feruz Botirov at their shared home in Crop Common, Hatfield.
He also denied a lesser charge of grievous bodily harm (GBH).
But at St Albans Crown Court on Wednesday, Saidov changed his plea and admitted causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Botirov, 25.
You may also want to watch:
After discharging the jury, Judge Michael Baker QC sentenced Saidov to six years eight and months in prison.
The attempted murder charge was ordered to lie on file.
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 5 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 6 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
For more on this story, including police reaction to the conviction, see Wednesday's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.