Hatfield man calls for Sri Lankan government to face war crimes charges
A HATFIELD man has called for genocide charges to be brought against the Sri Lankan government following a bitter civil war in his homeland. Thurairajah Vasikaran has written to both Prime Minister Gordon Brown and US President Barack Obama to express
A HATFIELD man has called for genocide charges to be brought against the Sri Lankan government following a bitter civil war in his homeland.
Thurairajah Vasikaran has written to both Prime Minister Gordon Brown and US President Barack Obama to express his concern at the humanitarian crisis which has unfolded following fierce fighting between the Sri Lankan military and Tamil Tiger separatists.
The 33-year-old biomedical engineer said more than 100,000 innocent Tamil civilians, including children, have been killed and some 25,000 injured.
Many more, he says, are trapped in the north-east of the island, where they are desperately short of food and have limited access to medical treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Vasikaran, of Strawmead, said: "The Sri Lankan government should be brought to a war crimes tribunal.
"I have family and friends out there and I don't know if they are alive or dead."
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
For the full story see tomorrow's WHT.