Hatfield likely to be incinerator site
A MASSIVE waste incinerator looks set to be built in Hatfield rather than a site close to Radlett.
Hertfordshire County Council will officially vote on the location of the controversial plant at a cabinet meeting today (Thursday) and it is understood that their officers are recommending that it should be sited in New Barnfield, Hatfield rather than on the Lafarge Aggregates site at Harper Lane, Frogmore.
The council is pressing ahead with the new incinerator despite months of staunch opposition from residents close both to Harper Lane and the New Barnfield site, which were the two shortlisted contenders.
E.ON is proposing to build at Harper Lane and Veolia is vying for the Hatfield site.
But the Welwyn Hatfield Times has learned that county officers are recommending Hatfield, with the panel likely to choose Veolia, a subsidiary of a French corporation, ahead of German company E.ON as its preferred bidder.
You may also want to watch:
Environmentalists had written to councillors asking them to delay today’s decision until the government releases its waste strategy review in May.
In the letter they said: “The review may well have changes and recommendations which the people of Hertfordshire would expect you to take into account before committing to a 25-year contract at significant expense to council taxpayers at a time of economic cuts.”
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 7 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 10 Have your say on Hertsmere Local Plan as public consultation extended
But a council spokeswoman confirmed that the decision would be made today as planned.
The Cabinet’s announcement on its preferred bidder will be publicised on the Welwyn Hatfield Times’ website www.whtimes24.co.uk