Hatfield incinerator may not yet go ahead
FOR the first time since Hertfordshire County Council unveiled plans to build an incinerator in Hatfield, another possible site has been revealed.
The waste burner, which has long been mooted for the New Barnfield site, in Travellers Lane, could yet be built on land owned by Lafarge in Harper Lane between Radlett and London Colney. The news emerged after the council announced the names of the two companies that will fight it out to secure its waste management contract for the next 25 years.
They are E.ON Energy from Waste, which wants to build in Harper Lane, and Veolia Environmental Services, which wants to build at New Barnfield.
The preferred bidder will be chosen in June 2011.
Cllr Derrick Ashley, executive member for waste, said: “While our priority is to help people to reduce, reuse and recycle more of the waste we generate, the reality is that a substantial amount of waste will still need to disposed of every year.
You may also want to watch:
“We want the best possible solution for Hertfordshire and I’m pleased that what residents have said is important to them – namely diverting the maximum amount of waste from landfill, recycling as much as is possible, and making the most of the waste left by recovering energy from it in the form of electricity – is what we are getting.”
It is anticipated that the facility will open in April 2015.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn