Hatfield boxer Billy Joe sparring with Olympic champion DeGale
HATFIELD boxer Billy Joe Saunders and Olympic gold medallist James DeGale are working together ahead of their professional debuts. The deadly duo will have their first fights in the paid ranks on February 28 at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham. An
HATFIELD boxer Billy Joe Saunders and Olympic gold medallist James DeGale are working together ahead of their professional debuts.
The deadly duo will have their first fights in the paid ranks on February 28 at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham.
And to ensure they are both in tip-top condition they have been sparring together ahead of their big night.
It's a throwback to the Beijing Games where they represented Great Britain, DeGale going on to win Olympic gold.
You may also want to watch:
"It's great working with James again," said 19-year-old Saunders.
"We must have sparred hundreds of rounds together when we were up in Sheffield at the Institute of Sport, and we are always learning from each other.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
"The team spirit in Beijing was superb, and I know we'll be looking to recreate that when we box together.
"The professional side of things has a reputation for being a bit selfish.
"But with us all boxing on the same cards up and down the country, it's a bit like being back in the elite squad, and we'll keep driving each other on."
Billy Joe will face former Hungarian light-welterweight champion Attila Molnar in his first pro bout.