Hatfield boxer Billy Joe Saunders wins third pro fight on Amir Khan bill
IT was business as usual for Hatfield hitter Billy Joe Saunders last night at the MEN Arena in Manchester. The 19-year-old boxer won his third professional bout with a second-round stoppage of former soldier Matt Scriven. That manner of victory is becomin
IT was business as usual for Hatfield hitter Billy Joe Saunders last night at the MEN Arena in Manchester.
The 19-year-old boxer won his third professional bout with a second-round stoppage of former soldier Matt Scriven.
That manner of victory is becoming the norm now for Billy Joe, who lives at the Holwell travellers' site in Hatfield.
For his three successive victories, Beijing Olympian Saunders has stopped each opponent in the second round.
You may also want to watch:
Scriven joins Attila Molnar and Ronny Gabel to prove no match for the Herts hitman.
It was a night of success for Frank Warren's 'Olympians' with Beijing gold medallist James DeGale and Birmingham man Frankie Gavin claiming stoppage victories like Saunders.
- 1 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 2 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 3 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 4 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 5 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 6 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 8 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Father reveals 'toll' his infertility took on his mental health while trying to have a baby
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
Headlining the Manchester bill on Saturday, Bolton pugilist Amir Khan defeated Andreas Kotelnik unanimously on points to become the new WBA light-welterweight champion of the world.
* For further coverage, interviews from the MEN Arena and full picture spread see next week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times - out Wednesday.