Hapless bicycle-riding robber hunted after two failed muggings in Welwyn Garden City
TWO robberies that took place on the same day, in Welwyn Garden City, have been linked by police.
Officers are appealing for witnesses and information after the bike-riding raids in the Woodhall area.
The first attack happened at about 4.45pm on an alleyway off Burgundy Croft on April 3.
A woman in her 60s was walking along the alleyway, which separates Burgundy Croft from Woodhall shops, on her way to the shops when a man approached from behind on a bike and tried to grab her bag, but failed and fled in the same direction.
The second attempted robbery happened between 9.30pm and 10pm on April 3, on Cole Green Lane.
You may also want to watch:
Two women were walking down the road, about 100 metres away from the Chieftain pub, when they were approached by a cyclist who pulled up in front of them.
He threatened them and demanded their handbags.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
The two women, one in her 50s and one in her 60s, hit the man with one of their handbags and tried to pull him off his bike.
He managed escape in the direction of Upperfield Road empty-handed.
The suspect for both is described as a white man, about 5ft 6ins tall, of thin build with a gaunt appearance and sunken cheeks, aged about 20, with a London accent and a deep voice.
In the first incident he was wearing a green hoodie.
In the second he was wearing a black hooded top with a white oval logo and a zig zag pattern in the middle on the back.
DC Ian Aldridge, investigating from Welwyn Hatfield Local Crime Unit, said: “I would encourage anyone who saw any suspicious activity around the time of these incidents, or who has any other information in relation to these crimes to contact me.
“We believe they are linked and I would also encourage anyone who thinks they recognise the suspect description to come forward.
“In particular, if anyone was at the Woodhall shops area during the time of the first incident of the Chieftain pub for the second one, you may have information vital to this investigation.”
Anyone with any information on this crime should ring DC Aldridge via the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.