Handside by-election result: New Welwyn Hatfield councillor scoops 52 per cent of vote
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Hatfield Council’s Handside by-election result is in.
Liberal Democrat candidate Siobhan Elam stormed to victory yesterday evening with 52 per cent of the overall vote (1,105), beating Conservative hopeful Drew Richardson (691), Labour’s Belinda Yeldon (260) and The Green Party’s Berenice Dowlen (51).
Cllr Elam told the WHT: “I’m delighted to have been elected tonight to serve the people of Handside.
“I am looking forward to doing everything within my power to make sure that I do justice to the confidence that people have placed in me.
“It is such an honour to represent my neighbours in this way and I want to thank everyone who has made this possible.”
You may also want to watch:
The by-election was called after Lib Dem Rachel Basch stepped down last month.
Reaction to follow.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM