Hatfield pool double booking upsets swimmers with disabilities
- Credit: Archant
Scores of swimmers with disabilities were turned away on Saturday, April 14 when they found Hatfield Swim Centre had been double booked.
Halliwick Penguins, a swimming club for children and adults with disabilities, booked the pool back in 2015 for their regular gala event that invites not only its own members but also people travelling from Harrow, Stevenage and Potters Bar.
Club member Graham Fearsey said: “They messed it right up. We were all stood outside.
“When we asked the woman in charge, she just didn’t care.”
James Barton, 48, is a senior committee member and also planned to join the gala that day. He said: “We put a lot of work into it, we’ve had this gala for a long time.
You may also want to watch:
“This is the first time we’ve had this done to us.”
A spokesperson for Finesse, which runs Hatfield Swim Centre, said: “Due to an administrative error, there was a double booking at the pool this weekend.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
“We take full responsibility for this and have spoken to the club to sincerely apologise for the mistake.
“The initial booking was made by an employee who no longer works for Finesse.
“The error seems to have occurred in the handover when that employee left.
“We are currently discussing rescheduling the event for the club for free and exploring how else we can rectify the situation.”