Grieving Welwyn Garden City mum says thanks
THE mother of 14-year-old Matt Pearson has expressed her thanks to everyone who has supported her family following his death. Matt, of Poppyfields, WGC, died on Boxing Day and his funeral service was held last month. Mum Sherry and husband Stuart said the
THE mother of 14-year-old Matt Pearson has expressed her thanks to everyone who has supported her family following his death.
Matt, of Poppyfields, WGC, died on Boxing Day and his funeral service was held last month.
Mum Sherry and husband Stuart said they were overwhelmed to see hundreds of Matt's school pals lining the streets as his coffin passed Sir Frederic Osborn School.
She said: "We were a little bit late and I thought because of the rain there might be half a dozen kids.
"But when I saw the crowds and crowds it really blew me away."
Sherry said she had also received a book of condolence from the school.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 4 Council fights for lower housing targets in Local Plan
- 5 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 6 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 7 Grant Shapps reveals ‘anger’ over ‘unacceptable’ Downing Street parties
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 10 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
"To read some of the things the 13-year-olds have written, they remember his fantastic smile, some even called him an angel."
Matt's uncle Steve Williamson, from Moors Walk, WGC, added: "We would like to express our thanks for all the love, kindness and friendship shown to us at this sad time.
"We particularly would like to thank the staff and pupils of Sir Frederic Osborn School for their support, they are a credit to headteacher Sue Lewis and the school."
Sherry also wanted to especially thank her sister Kim and brother-in-law Steve.
She said: "They took us to the hospital on the night, Kim has fed us every day since and she held Matt's party following the funeral.
"Stuart, Rachel, Mark and I just want to say thank you."
* Matt's football team Welwyn Pegasus under-14 Royals played for the first time without him on Sunday.
Following an emotional minute's applause Matt's mum Sherry told them: "It doesn't matter about winning, play your hearts out, Matt would be proud of you."
The team went on to lose 4-1.