Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- Credit: PA/supplied
Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps has publicly condemned the campaigners behind this week's motorway blockades.
Protest group Insulate Britain have caused major disruptions this week after blocking traffic at various junctions of the M25.
In one instance 18 members of the group were arrested in South Mimms for protesting by junction 1 of the A1M (southbound) and junction 23 of the M25.
The Transport Secretary tweeted: "This is dangerous and counterproductive. We all agree that climate change must be tackled, but this sort of behaviour achieves nothing, puts drivers at risk and INCREASES pollution. I expect the police to take swift action to clear the roads."
Insulate Britain want the government to provide insulation of all social housing and retrofit all houses to make them more environmentally friendly.
You may also want to watch:
However their methods have involved sitting across roads and preventing traffic from moving past them, until they are eventually arrested or moved on by police.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement