Gordon Brown leadership challenge dismissed
MP Barbara Follett has offered her backing to Gordon Brown after two ex-cabinet ministers demanded a secret ballot on his leadership.
Mrs Follett, whose Stevenage constituency includes Codicote, Datchworth and Knebworth, spoke out after Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt claimed in a letter to Labour MPs that the party was “deeply divided” over the Prime Minister’s leadership.
“I think it is very sad that two people of the status of Geoff and Patricia have made such a stupid mistake,” Mrs Follett said.
“I think they have mis-gauged the views of the party.”
Mrs Follett, who will be standing down from Parliament at this year’s General Election, insisted that any attempt to force the premier out would be be unsuccessful.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I am dismayed and angry and I think it was totally unnecessary.”
For more from Mrs Follett, see next week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses