Gordon Brown leadership challenge dismissed
MP Barbara Follett has offered her backing to Gordon Brown after two ex-cabinet ministers demanded a secret ballot on his leadership.
Mrs Follett, whose Stevenage constituency includes Codicote, Datchworth and Knebworth, spoke out after Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt claimed in a letter to Labour MPs that the party was “deeply divided” over the Prime Minister’s leadership.
“I think it is very sad that two people of the status of Geoff and Patricia have made such a stupid mistake,” Mrs Follett said.
“I think they have mis-gauged the views of the party.”
Mrs Follett, who will be standing down from Parliament at this year’s General Election, insisted that any attempt to force the premier out would be be unsuccessful.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I am dismayed and angry and I think it was totally unnecessary.”
For more from Mrs Follett, see next week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best