Gordon Brown leadership challenge dismissed
MP Barbara Follett has offered her backing to Gordon Brown after two ex-cabinet ministers demanded a secret ballot on his leadership.
Mrs Follett, whose Stevenage constituency includes Codicote, Datchworth and Knebworth, spoke out after Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt claimed in a letter to Labour MPs that the party was “deeply divided” over the Prime Minister’s leadership.
“I think it is very sad that two people of the status of Geoff and Patricia have made such a stupid mistake,” Mrs Follett said.
“I think they have mis-gauged the views of the party.”
Mrs Follett, who will be standing down from Parliament at this year’s General Election, insisted that any attempt to force the premier out would be be unsuccessful.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I am dismayed and angry and I think it was totally unnecessary.”
For more from Mrs Follett, see next week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 5 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say