Gordon Brown branded hypocrite over UFO hacker Gary McKinnon
THE mother of an autistic man wanted in America on computer hacking charges has labelled Gordon Brown a hypocrite after he tried to halt the execution of a Brit convicted of drug smuggling in China.
Janis Sharp, from Brookmans Park, hit out after the PM pleaded with the Chinese authorities to spare Akmal Shaikh, the Londoner put to death on December 29 despite concerns he was mentally ill.
She applauded the premier’s intervention, but said it contrasted sharply with the Government’s stance over her son Gary McKinnon.
Asperger’s sufferer Gary faces up to 60 years in a US jail if he is extradited and convicted of computer hacking.
But Janis believes her son would be at risk of committing suicide should he be put on a plane to America.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Gordon Brown wrung his hands over the execution of a mentally ill British drugs carrier in China.
“Yet he and his Government remain complicit in the US authorities’ hounding of my vulnerable son, despite knowing that, for Gary, extradition amounts to nothing less than a death sentence, given his growing mental instability.”
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 10 New car park proposed for park
She added: “Why can’t the UK just ask our supposedly strongest ally, President Obama, to show clemency towards Gary by cancelling the extradition request and allowing a UK prosecution?”
For more on this story, see next week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times