Golfing legend Nick Faldo 'Humbled' at receiving Knighthood
WGC S most famous sporting son, golfer Nick Faldo, said he was humbled after being knighted in the Queen s Birthday Honours. The former Sir Frederic Osborn pupil, who grew up in Knella Road, said he was delighted to be given the accolade. I am more
WGC'S most famous sporting son, golfer Nick Faldo, said he was "humbled" after being knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
The former Sir Frederic Osborn pupil, who grew up in Knella Road, said he was "delighted" to be given the accolade.
"I am more than a little bit humbled to have been afforded this great honour," said the three times Open and US Masters winner.
"It has come as a real surprise and the reaction from my children, family and friends has made this a very special moment for me.
You may also want to watch:
"It has always been my intention to do my utmost to develop this game both in Britain and abroad and I am also delighted that my efforts through the Faldo Series have been recognised in this way."
It is not the first time the dad-of-three has been a recipient of an honour, having been made an MBE 11 years ago.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 4 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 5 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
The 51-year-old, six-time Major winner, added: "I believe I join Sir Henry Cotton as the only other professional British golfer to receive a Knighthood so to stand alongside such esteemed company is incredible.
"I should like if I may to accept this honour as a representative of a sport that has given me so much in my life.
"I would also like to thank all of the people that have helped make that possible - not least of all my parents, whose unstinting love and support is a real blessing.