Golfing legend Nick Faldo 'Humbled' at receiving Knighthood
WGC S most famous sporting son, golfer Nick Faldo, said he was humbled after being knighted in the Queen s Birthday Honours. The former Sir Frederic Osborn pupil, who grew up in Knella Road, said he was delighted to be given the accolade. I am more
WGC'S most famous sporting son, golfer Nick Faldo, said he was "humbled" after being knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
The former Sir Frederic Osborn pupil, who grew up in Knella Road, said he was "delighted" to be given the accolade.
"I am more than a little bit humbled to have been afforded this great honour," said the three times Open and US Masters winner.
"It has come as a real surprise and the reaction from my children, family and friends has made this a very special moment for me.
You may also want to watch:
"It has always been my intention to do my utmost to develop this game both in Britain and abroad and I am also delighted that my efforts through the Faldo Series have been recognised in this way."
It is not the first time the dad-of-three has been a recipient of an honour, having been made an MBE 11 years ago.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
The 51-year-old, six-time Major winner, added: "I believe I join Sir Henry Cotton as the only other professional British golfer to receive a Knighthood so to stand alongside such esteemed company is incredible.
"I should like if I may to accept this honour as a representative of a sport that has given me so much in my life.
"I would also like to thank all of the people that have helped make that possible - not least of all my parents, whose unstinting love and support is a real blessing.