Golden joy for Welwyn couple
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary – despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans. Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks afte
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary - despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans.
Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks after Tony underwent triple heart bypass surgery.
The pair, who live in Mill Lane, met while studying at Leicester University College in the 1950s and have been together ever since.
When asked about his half-century of marriage, Tony, who is originally from Sevenoaks, in Kent, laughed: "The first 50 years are the worst!"
You may also want to watch:
But the 76-year-old archaeologist quickly added: "I think I have got a pretty good one (in Merle)."
Merle, a former English teacher, said being married to Tony had been an "entertaining ride".
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 7 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures
- 9 From 'the worst zoo in the UK' to popular attraction: Looking back on Paradise Wildlife Park's 37 years
- 10 Rogue landlord hit with record £90,000 fine for safety failings
"I love him dearly," the 73-year-old said.
"He's a one-off."
Merle also thanked her daughter Sylvia for her efforts in organising their anniversary celebration.
"She worked so hard for the party," Merle said.
"I owe a lot to her for such a wonderful party.