Golden joy for Welwyn couple
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary – despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans. Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks afte
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary - despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans.
Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks after Tony underwent triple heart bypass surgery.
The pair, who live in Mill Lane, met while studying at Leicester University College in the 1950s and have been together ever since.
When asked about his half-century of marriage, Tony, who is originally from Sevenoaks, in Kent, laughed: "The first 50 years are the worst!"
You may also want to watch:
But the 76-year-old archaeologist quickly added: "I think I have got a pretty good one (in Merle)."
Merle, a former English teacher, said being married to Tony had been an "entertaining ride".
- 1 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 2 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 3 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 4 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 5 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 6 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 9 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 10 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
"I love him dearly," the 73-year-old said.
"He's a one-off."
Merle also thanked her daughter Sylvia for her efforts in organising their anniversary celebration.
"She worked so hard for the party," Merle said.
"I owe a lot to her for such a wonderful party.