Golden joy for Welwyn couple
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary – despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans. Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks afte
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary - despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans.
Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks after Tony underwent triple heart bypass surgery.
The pair, who live in Mill Lane, met while studying at Leicester University College in the 1950s and have been together ever since.
When asked about his half-century of marriage, Tony, who is originally from Sevenoaks, in Kent, laughed: "The first 50 years are the worst!"
You may also want to watch:
But the 76-year-old archaeologist quickly added: "I think I have got a pretty good one (in Merle)."
Merle, a former English teacher, said being married to Tony had been an "entertaining ride".
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
"I love him dearly," the 73-year-old said.
"He's a one-off."
Merle also thanked her daughter Sylvia for her efforts in organising their anniversary celebration.
"She worked so hard for the party," Merle said.
"I owe a lot to her for such a wonderful party.