Golden joy for Welwyn couple
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary – despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans. Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks afte
A WELL-KNOWN Welwyn couple have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary - despite an operation threatening to scupper their plans.
Tony and Merle Rook celebrated 50 years of marriage last week, with a party for more than 40 guests, just two weeks after Tony underwent triple heart bypass surgery.
The pair, who live in Mill Lane, met while studying at Leicester University College in the 1950s and have been together ever since.
When asked about his half-century of marriage, Tony, who is originally from Sevenoaks, in Kent, laughed: "The first 50 years are the worst!"
You may also want to watch:
But the 76-year-old archaeologist quickly added: "I think I have got a pretty good one (in Merle)."
Merle, a former English teacher, said being married to Tony had been an "entertaining ride".
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 11 top Hertfordshire music festivals set for the summer of 2021
"I love him dearly," the 73-year-old said.
"He's a one-off."
Merle also thanked her daughter Sylvia for her efforts in organising their anniversary celebration.
"She worked so hard for the party," Merle said.
"I owe a lot to her for such a wonderful party.